Skip to main content

Donald J. Angus papers

 Collection
Identifier: Spec-Coll-00002

  • Staff Only

Scope and Content

The Donald J. Angus Papers consist of records relating to the engineering activity of Donald J. Angus, part owner of the Esterline Angus Company. Most correspondence relates to the early years of the company from 1914-1918. It has been established that the later correspondence and other records were destroyed when this proprietary firm was sold in 1960. The fiscal records are, however, fairly complete, covering the years 1915-1958.

Dates

  • 1903-1966
  • Majority of material found within 1914-1958

Language of Materials

The records are in English

Restrictions on Access

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Restrictions on Use

There are no restrictions on use of this collection.

Biography of Donald J. Angus

Donald J. Angus (1887-1966) was a self-made engineer and inventor. Although he never completed high school, he did attend, as an occasional student, engineering classes of his choice at the University of Wisconsin and Michigan State University. One of his early projects was the design and installation of the hydraulic plant and distributing system for the district at Williams, Lawrence County, Ind. (1909-1912). The entire Bedford Stone District of Indiana, one of the largest industrial electrifications in the United States, was managed by Angus for some time after the completion of the project. He became progressively expert on electrical measuring and recording devices, and was selected during World War I to design a totalizing meter for the Mississippi River Company plant at Keokuk, Iowa. During his lifetime he was granted 47 patents on electrical and mechanical devices. He joined John W. Esterline in 1910 to create The Esterline Angus Company, a producer of electromechanical and electronic technology, specializing in process recording and control instrumentation.

Extent

5.38 linear feet

Overview

The Donald J. Angus Papers consist of records relating to the engineering activity of Donald J. Angus, part owner of the Esterline Angus Company. Most correspondence relates to the early years of the company from 1914-1918. It has been established that the later correspondence and other records were destroyed when this proprietary firm was sold in 1960. The fiscal records are, however, fairly complete, covering the years 1915-1958.

Statement of Arrangement

This collection is arranged in nine series.
  1. Series 1: Working Papers, 1914-1934
  2. Series 2: Reports, 1915-1925
  3. Series 3, Central Station Files, 1911-1914
  4. Series 4: Fragmented Files, 1935-1966
  5. Series 5: Patents, 1919-1938
  6. Series 6: Fiscal Records Esterline Angus Company, 1915-1962
  7. Series 7: Artifacts, 1903-1914
  8. Series 8: Glass Slides, circa 1914
  9. Series 9: Microfilm, 1904-1943

Acquisition Information

This collection was given to the Case Archive of Contemporary Science and Technology by Case Professor John C. Angus, nephew of Donald J. Angus, in June 1967. A few additional materials were loaned from Mr. Arthur J. Weber (Indianapolis) to be microfilmed for the collection. In July, 2011 former Esterline Angus Company employee, William E. Calbert, donated five notebooks kept by by Donald J. Angus between 1935 and 1956. They contain electrical test results and instrumentation information recorded by Angus for several projects. The notebooks were a gift to Calbert from Angus in the early 1960's.
Title
Finding aid for the Donald J. Angus Papers
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Special Collection staff
Date
2017
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Kelvin Smith Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Kelvin Smith Library
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland OH 44106-7151 United States
216.368.0189