Frances W. and H. Jack Lang autograph letter collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists of letters and supporting documentation, books on the art of letter writing, a small miscellaneous grouping of catalogs and photographs, and issues of The Wolf Magazine of Letters from June-July 1979 to Summer Quarterly 1991. The earliest letter, from the Marquise de Sevigne, dates from 1695; while the most recent was signed by entertainer Mike Douglas in 1980. Most of the letters date from the 19th century. The collection, which now numbers 85 letters, will continue to grow; in conjunction with his gift, Mr. Lang established a gift annuity to be used for the maintenance and augmentation of the collection.
Language of Materials
The records are in English
Restrictions on Access
There are no restrictions on access to this collection.
Restrictions on Use
There are no restrictions on use of this collection.
Biography of H. Jack Lang
H. Jack Lang (1904-1996) was a well-known advertising executive and philanthropist in Cleveland, Ohio. He founded the H. Jack Lang Co. in 1932 which became Lang, Fisher and Stashower Inc. in 1937 and Liggett-Stashower in 1987. Five years after his retirement in 1972, Mr. Lang was elected to the Cleveland Advertising Hall of Fame.
As a service to his first customer, the Wolf Envelope Co., Mr. Lang suggested the creation of a monthly publication of humorous and witty correspondence. It was called The Wolf Magazine of Letters, and was edited by Mr. Lang for 60 years, beginning in 1934. His interest in the art of letter writing continued to grow: he became a member of The Manuscript Society, as well as Cleveland's Rowfant Club (a society for bibliophiles.) He wrote and edited several books, including: "The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln", "Letters in American History", "Dear Wit", and "Rowfant Manuscripts." He received the Freedom Foundation's George Washington Honor Medal for promoting "an increase in the understanding of the American Way of Life." Mr. Lang also began to buy and collect original letters. He donated his collection to Case Western Reserve University in 1977. He continued to make donations of letters until his death in 1996 and established a gift annuity to provide for additions to the collection.
In addition to being a Friend of University Libraries at Case Western Reserve University, Mr. Lang was a member of the Library Council at the Western Reserve Historical Society, a trustee at both Mt. Sinai Hospital and Planned Parenthood in Cleveland, and an active supporter of the Cleveland community through the Frances W. and H. Jack Lang Philanthropic Fund as well as the Samuel D. and May Wise Philanthropic Fund.
1.26 linear feet
Statement of Arrangement
Materials are arranged in four series: Series 1: Letters, Series 2: Documentation, Series 3: Miscellaneous, Series 4: The Wolf Magazine of Letters (1979-1991) Within each series materials are arranged alphabetically.
This collection was given to Case Western Reserve University in 1977 by H. Jack Lang.
- Finding aid for the Frances W. and H. Jack Lang Letter Collection
- Under Revision
- Finding aid prepared by Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Kelvin Smith Library Special Collections Repository
Kelvin Smith Library
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland OH 44106-7151 United States